Marigold will purchase your tickets for you, and then email your itinerary to you.
The most important “do not” in traveling abroad is do not bring too much! Since you may want to bring back a few personal purchases from abroad, reserve some packing space for this.
Here are some helpful hints gleaned from frequent overseas’ travelers:
- Leave items you cannot afford to lose (for example, expensive jewelry or nice camera) at home. Put a snapshot of the luggage you will check in into your carry-on luggage—just in case checked luggage pieces are temporarily lost. The photo will assist the airline in its search for your bags.
- Line your suitcase with plastic to protect the contents. In some airports it is not unusual for luggage to sit outside, unprotected from rain.
- Bring clothing that can be layered so you can make adjustments if the weather becomes unseasonably cold or hot.
- Carry a change of clothing, empty water bottle, small packages of tissues, medications, and other necessities in your carry-on luggage—just in case your checked baggage does not arrive on time.
Check your airline ticket/itinerary regarding the luggage limits established by each airline on which you will be flying:
Usually only one carry-on bag is allowed, which must not exceed 45 inches in any one dimension.
Check excess baggage if you need more space. Excess baggage will be charged a certain amount per piece, varying from $20 to $300. Restrictions on excess baggage specify that no piece can exceed 62 inches.
Put your money on your body, preferably under your clothes. It is best not to carry a wallet in your back pocket. Fanny packs are discouraged since they are an easy target for thieves to remove from your waist.
Only bring medicines you take on a regular basis. All other pharmaceuticals can be obtained abroad.
Expensive or sentimental jewelry is not recommended because of theft in the city. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets and watches can be ripped from you.
Here’s an example of what is generally allowed for most trips abroad. You are usually allowed to check two pieces of baggage free. Measure the dimensions of each:
- The total dimensions (length plus width plus height) of a bag must not exceed 107 inches.
- No bag can exceed 62 inches in any one dimension (length or width or height).
- No bag can weigh over 50 pounds.